In case anyone is wondering what “clean eating” or “eating clean” is and the staples of it, there are two main sources I got my initial information from and still refer to on a regular basis. One is the Clean Eating Magazine and the other is The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. Both are great reads and I would recommend to anyone who is just looking for a “healthier” way to eat. On a side note I am not vegan or vegetarian and do not see this happening anytime in the future but there are options for both lifestyles in this way of eating.
- Drink 8 (8oz) glasses of water daily – I drink at least 64 oz of water by bringing a 32oz water bottle to school and refilling once or twice. I always start my day with a small cup of hot water with the juice of 1/2 lemon squeezed. Then I have a cup of coffee with fat free milk.
- Eat 5-6 small meals/snacks a day
- All 6 should contain a protein - eggs, chicken, beef, fish, whey protein, etc.
- 4-6 should contain a fruit and/or vegetable - leafy greens, cucumber, bell peppers, etc.
- 2-4 should contain a complex carbohydrate - brown rice, flaxseed, quinoa, etc.
- 2-3 small servings of healthy fats - avocado, flaxseed, nuts.
- Avoid added sugars, salts and fats (as well as table salt and granulated sugar in baking)
When I eat this way consistently I notice a big difference in my energy level and over-all health.
Please let me know if there’s any questions about it!
Disclaimer: This is just my personal experience with eating clean and my personal opinion, I am in no way a doctor or licensed professional.